Dog massage is an excellent option that can be considered for the overall well-being of dogs. The anatomy of dog is similar to human beings and a luxurious massage can be really invigorating for the canines. In fact, a massage is just as much good and comfortable for a dog as it is for human beings. Moreover, dog massage also provides therapeutic effect to these four-legged animals as they get respite from any kind of pain. Massage is one of the most exotic therapies that help to alleviate stress and pain. For dogs in particular, it also aids in relaxation of muscles and tissues and expedites their activities. Dogs are generally active, and they love to play around in the yard or move in the entire house. This freedom is often hindered when dogs suffer from any kind of ailment. Under such circumstances, massage is one of the most effective methods that can be applied on several pressure points that help to alleviate the pain to some extent.
However, only proper massage techniques lead to positive results when continued for a long time. Let us consider some of the proven advantages of dog massage:
- A perfect massage therapy for dogs can provide relief from stressful condition such as prolonged absence of owner, fear of abuse and injury particularly for rescued pets, loss of a pet companion in the family and fear of veterinarians.
- Improves blood circulation, helps the muscles to relax and increases resilience. The enhanced flow of blood also brings changes in the overall health condition of the dogs and ensures their well-being.
- For sick dogs, which are supposed to undergo surgery, or to overcome the post surgical symptoms, massage therapy is the perfect way to relax. Massage therapy is also useful for injured dogs in the post healing period.
- Broken limbs are source of constant pain as the condition interferes with the movement of dogs. Massage helps to strengthen the muscles and allows your pet to have better flexibility while recovering from broken or wounded limbs.
- Touch therapy or massage also allows the dogs to feel more relaxed and comfortable along with a sense of security. Your pet will feel homely and become friendlier with all the members in the family. Besides this, a perfect massage is the only way in which the dogs can feel that they are with the family members rather than with strangers.
- The growth of muscles and limbs are promoted by body massage, and it also acts as a natural technique of destroying pain. Older dogs often suffer from muscular dysfunction, and massage helps to reduce the discomfort to a large extent.
- Massage is not only associated with physical comfort, but mental health as well. Some dogs are aggressive or even circumstances can lead to extreme aggression dogs particularly when they do not get proper care and affection from their master. A massage is a proven method of experiencing relief from pain.
- For those dogs that are agile and participate in sport activities, massage is essential for relaxation during the post activity period.
- Massage helps to bring significant and positive changes in the body of a dog and help them to remain agile and active despite sickness or diseases.
- The immune system of dogs also gets a boost after massaging the body of a dog for prolonged period.
Although the feeling of a dog is almost similar to that of humans, yet its structure or morphology is entirely different. Therefore, the massage strokes should always be applied by professional masseurs rather than the people in the family. However, a gentle stroke or affectionate touch is something that all dogs prefer as they love to get physical affection from everyone in the surrounding particularly from the owner or the master. This is one of the primary reasons for which dogs love children as they are always cuddling the pets and stroking them with all the love and compassion. It is unlikely that a dog will ever get more affection from anyone than kids, and that is why we often refer to the term “puppy love”.
As soon as dogs receive a stroke or touch, their body undergoes certain changes and the dog begins to feel comfortable and relaxed almost instantly. While the changes can be accounted for the improved blood circulation, there are myriad benefits of a proper and effective massage in the body of the dogs. Although the real benefits of massage can be achieved only when it is carried out by professional masseurs, a simple or general massage can also provide some benefits. For instance, if you leave your pet dog in a doggy care center throughout the week, a light and relaxing stroke on its body will surely rejuvenate the dog and make up for the love and affection that your pet has missed throughout the week. As we have already discussed, the benefits of massage transcend beyond the general benefits that are restricted to the physical structure of dogs.
Massage is not only beneficial for senior dogs, but smaller varieties or even puppies. In fact, puppies often crave for a gentle stroke or pat on the body for love and affection similar to human babies. A massage conducted by a professional also helps in toning the body or the muscles of a dog. However, the benefits of massage cannot be felt in a similar manner unless it is conducted by a professional masseur. In other words, a general stroke or pat provides relief both physically and psychologically. As a matter of fact, the genuine benefits of massage can be felt only if the pressure points in the body of a dog are perfectly identified by the person who is conducting the massage. The techniques that are supposed to bring relief from pain and stress are possible only when the massage is conducted in a proper manner. Furthermore, massage should be administered over a period of time, and not continuously for realizing the benefits of the same.
Light massage is extremely beneficial for jittery dogs particularly when they are aggressive or provoked, and it is always better to consult a professional masseur for this purpose instead of trying the methods at home. It is necessary to realize that massage should be not continue for too long as the benefits may be reversed. Massage is also beneficial in situations when the emotional energy of dogs is depleted to a large extent. With appropriate strokes and techniques, a dog can regain the lost energy in the most convenient manner. The age old benefits of massage have been identified for a long time, and dogs need massage as much as human beings do in some way or the other.
Massage is recommended for older dogs particularly because they require more care and attention than the younger ones. The benefits of massage in senior dogs is incredible particularly because the level of blood circulation is quite low in these animals, and they are easily tired and stressed after performing some activities. Massage therapy is also useful for dogs that are suffering from serious disorders like arthritis and disorder of the hip and joints. Older dogs also suffer from pain and massage therapy aids in the release of endorphins that help to alleviate pain to a large extent. In other words, massage therapy can be referred as a natural painkiller in dogs. It is one of the most recommended techniques that are applied by professional masseurs. For many dogs, a visit to the clinic of the veterinarian can also result in lots of stress and anxiety. A proper massage can also help to relieve stress due to this reason.
If your pet is suffering from any disease or pain in the limbs, you should immediately call a professional masseur for relief and respite. Dogs are quite responsive to different categories of massage, and it is extremely important for the owner to understand the indications that require massage or similar therapies. Those dogs, which are extremely active and involved in various sport activities, can experience tremendous benefits from massage. Conditions like edema, in which the legs of a dog are swollen abnormally, also require massage. Although, such conditions cannot be cured by massage, it will certainly provide lots of benefits and relief. The pressure within the blood vessels can be regularized by proper massage techniques. The psychology of the dogs should be understood properly before carrying out a massage session on these animals.
On the whole, massage is one of the most efficient techniques that can be applied on dogs in the similar ways as it is carried out on human beings. The pressure points should be identified on the body of the dogs before the massage is administered, and this is the only reason for which massage should be conducted by professional trainers or masseurs. Besides, the massage that is administered to dogs during special circumstances, such as surgery and sickness, general massage has an everlasting effect on dogs. The positive effects of massage can be realized within a period of time when the massage is continuously administered for a long time.